‘While the Shepherds watched their flocks by night, the angel of the Lord came down.’ So the Christmas carol goes. But the Shepherds have also been busy elsewhere.
Indeed, the Shepherds have been flocking to Sheep Street in Winslow in a perfect example of nominative determinism during the run up to the festive period.
Estate agents Hamptons International exclusively told Zoopla it has sold a three bedroom cottage in Sheep Street to a Mrs Paula Shepherd.
But the story does not stop there as the sale of the property was instructed by a gentleman by the same festive surname – who is unrelated to the new occupant.
“It is total co-incidence that instructions to sell the property had been received from a Mr Shepherd.
“We’re thrilled that the Shepherds continue to flock to Sheep Street. The property has exchanged just in time for Christmas and we hope the new owners will be extremely happy in their new home.”
The Buckingham branch of Hamptons International handled the sale of the Grade II Listed cottage.
The property has a nineteenth façade, but is believed to have origins from the seventeenth century.
The historic market town of Winslow is located between Buckingham and Aylesbury, and offers a good range of amenities – including shopping, a health centre, a church, a garage and a selection of pubs and restaurants.
The average price of a property in Winslow is £541,568, up £29,802 during the past year.
Other properties for sale in Winslow:
1. Two bedroom cottage for £189,950
2. Five bedroom detached house for £695,000
3. Five bedroom detached house for £650,000
A selection of some fun properties to be found on Zoopla.
1. Who wouldn’t have fun in this house with a slide from upstairs to downstairs! Listed by Domus Nova.
2. From Hamptons – Dulwich – An entire loft transformed into a spaceship!
3. A pool that turns into a dance floor at the flick of a switch – what’s not fun about that? Listed with Carter Jonas.
4. Plenty of fun to be had in this treehouse I’m sure! Listed with Strutt and Parker.
5. The ultimate bachelor pad – pool, cinema room and a bar. Listed with Sotheby’s.
6. Not only does it have a boathouse but also a hot tub, pool, games room and more! Listed with Knight Frank.
7. We could easily see ourselves having hours of fun in this cave. Listed with John D Wood and Co.
8. How fun would it be to wake up in a different place each day! And for £185,000 this 2 bed water based home could be yours. From Harbour Estates.
9. A roof top hot tub in Notting Hill, with an impressive outdoor kitchen – now that makes for a fun combination. From Faron Sutaria.
10. And lastly John D Wood and Co’s pick of the week is this amazing party house complete with stream in East Molesey.
If you are looking to rent a house for £1,000 a month, what is on offer? Zoopla finds 10 properties that fit the bill.
1. Four bedroom semi-detached house in Hebden Bridge, near Bradford
2. Two bedroom terraced house in Henley on Thames, Oxfordshire
3. Three bedroom detached house in Corbridge, Northumberland
4. Four bedroom semi-detached house in Billingham, near Middlesbrough
5. Four bedroom house in Looe, near Plymouth
6. Four bedroom detached house in King’s Lynn
7. Three bedroom cottage in Macclesfield
8. Three bedroom house in Dorchester, Dorset
9. Three bedroom detached house in Penrith
10. Four bedroom detached house in Winchcombe, Cheltenham
If you are looking for an affordable place to buy a family home within commuting distance of London, there are some hidden gems, according to estate agents.
The typical value of a home in London has increased by more than £41,000 in the past year to more than £500,000, pricing many people out of buying a home – particularly families needing more space.
But if your job is in London, you may need to be as close as possible to the capital to keep commuting times to a minimum.
Reading and Southampton are among the areas highlighted as the most attractive places to live in Britain in a recent report. They are within commuting distance of London and still offer three bedroom family homes in the region of £350,000.
The report by accountants PriceWaterhouseCoopers and the think tank Demos found the Berkshire town of Reading has the highest standard of living due to factors such as good health and a life work balance.
Smirthwaite said: “The property is a good size, with all the bedrooms being doubles.
“It has a great lounge, with a woodburner – which would be ideal to sit in front of with a glass of port.”
The property also has a modern bathroom, with a reasonably sized garden to the side of the property.
Smirthwaite points out that the property is next to a shop where customers park as well as being near a roundabout. “It gets busy around home time, but otherwise it is very quiet. It is a very nice property and I’d move into it tomorrow,” he says.
He explained Aldermaston is an old village with a basic infrastructure, which attracts a mix of people from young couples to retirees.
“If you picked that up and put it in nearby Mortimer, you would add another £100,000 to the price,” he said.
Elsewhere, between Southampton and Basingstoke, buyers can find a four bedroom property for sale at £375,000.
Alec Fry, of the Winchester branch of estate agents Hamptons International, said: “This four bedroom property in Sutton Scotney represents great value for money when you consider that it’s recently been refurbished and has off street parking.
“The area is well known for its good schools and links to the South – four miles from Micheldever and six miles from Winchester station and with links to London Waterloo in just over an hour, this is decent buy in a great location.”
A selection of the best properties to be found on Zoopla.
1. This property has it all…period features, beautiful gardens and even a stream – From @struttandparker.
2. From @savillsuk – A cook’s dream, fab kitchen and an even better garden for home grown produce to cook with!
3. We love this unique coach house from @FineandCountry.
4. From @InmoRealtyes – A restored country house in a farm dated from 13th Century in Barcelona.
5. A magnificent combination of garden and sea view in this Brighton home from @BrandVaughan1.
6. From @ChewtonRose - we couldn’t resist this beautiful barn conversion.
7. From @YMChrisStonock – a modern fireplace for the winter.
8. From @ckdgalbraith – An Edinburgh flat with panoramic city and sea views.
10. And finally from @Fearnalls (and others) the purple pad! However it has now been taken off the market – that sold quick!